Data for Category:Characters stored in Special:CargoTables/CHARACTER with the Form:Character Sheet and Template:Character Sheet
||#REDIRECT [[Dexter Lee]]
[[Dexter Lee]] :: [[Dex]] :: [[Dexter]]
||Grifter forced to become undercover corporate spy
||All for one and that one is Dex
- Scrappy Fighter: Being raised, often self-raised, in the slums made Dex a tough fighter just for survival. The espionage training has honed this to combat level in hand to hand and small arms.
- People Person: Dex is disarming and charming and easy to talk to--all the traits of a good bartender (or con man)
- Get me outta here: Dex is not exactly a willing spy and will give more than enough for Boeing to be content with what they are getting but never more than he has to to stay safe, he's actively looking for a safe way out of the intercranial torture from Ms. Smith
- You can never go home (to Earth): He cheated the wrong people on Earth, so it's far too dangerous for him to step foot back there, even with Boeing protection.
- Slip Sliding Away: Getting in trouble a lot, survival means not being where the fight is and he's very good at knowing how to get out and away.
- Sydpathy: An uncomfortable empathy for Syd's world view
- Augments are people who have altered themselves significantly from baseline for their species, or the specific alterations they have made to their bodies and minds. The most common augments are mechanical/cybernetic, neural, genetic, or chemical. Augments begin with 24R for approaches and abilities, 4R of normal Refresh, and 4L for their Unstable Augment limitation (28R/4L). They can take up to 44R/20L. This kind of min/max character is likely to be very fragile.
- Unstable Augment: Every time you alter your aspects, abilities, or resilience using augments, there is a chance that the change gets messed up. This is a 4 point limitation (uncommon, damaging) so the DC for the roll is 4. The player can use any approach to overcome this DC as long as they can justify it narratively. The final roll is /roll 4f DC-4 +Approach - as long as it is narratively justified. A failed roll adds the aspect Unstable to one of the character's augments - not necessarily the new or changed one.
- Confidence man: Dex gets a +2 to Cleverly convince someone to see things his way - while thinking it was their own idea all along. This is an attack against Mental Stress, but the defender does not know they are under attack unless they at least tie on their defense roll. If forced to take a Consequence, it is: '''You see things Dex's way''': [New belief].)
- Hey look, something shiny: Dex gets a +2 to Flashily create the advantage, Distracted by the shiny against a foe at a critical moment.
- Light fingers: +2 to sneakily pick pockets and do minor sleight of hand maneuvers due to years as a petty thief on his way to bigger crime. (Overcome)
- Slippery Bugger: +2 to Quickly evade being hit or captured (Defend)
- Silent but Deadly: +2 to sneakily strike an opponent to prevent their action for a round in combat (Advantage)
|Augmentation: Genetic and Cybernetic
- Enhanced Vision: +1 to Sneakily record events using nearly undetectable augmented eyes. (Overcome).
- Damaged in bright conditions, and need repair before they work properly again.
- Enhanced Hearing: +1 to Sneakily record events using nearly undetectable augmented ears. (Overcome).
- Damaged in loud conditions, and need repair before they work properly again.
- Nanowire Perfusion: A network of nanowires is arthroscopically installed throughout the structure of the brain. This provides excellent sensitivity. This good-resolution brain-computer interface (BCI) is snuggled up to your thoughts and feelings, and responds effortlessly. Lace-produced AR and VR objects are complex and detailed.
- +1DR vs concussions. (Cost 1R)
- +2 to any one IRL action. The strain this imposes on the brain results in 1MS per use. This stress can only be recovered with a full night of sleep. (Cost 1R)
- +2 to [Clever] actions in VR and AR gestalts. This bonus applies to Attack, Defend, Overcome, and Create an Aspect rolls. (Cost 4R)
- Magnetic Disruption: Vulnerable to strong (1T+) magnetic fields that disrupt or damage the lace. +1MS and +2PS from strong magnetic fields (treated as attacks). (Gain 3R)
- Faraday Cage: A nanowire mesh is installed outside the skull to provide a faraday cage, isolating the brain from external electromagnetic noise.
- Lace Firewall: Nobody gets through my firewalls.
- Lace Intrusion Detection: I tend to notice attempts at unauthorized access to my lace.
- Lace Hardened: All lace systems are hardened against attack.
- Poor: Making ends meet is a constant struggle. Ready cash in the μB100/B0.0001 range. You barely have enough money to make ends meet, and are constantly scrounging and saving. Going out for a meal means not paying a bill, or being late on rent. You don't own much stuff, and what you do own is mostly second hand, worn down, or cheaply made. (Gain 2R)
- Listening Straws: Supplied by BLAED, these plastic straws can passively record up to 5 minutes of audio in the immediate area with no known means of detection. The quality of the audio is usually awful, as determined by a straight roll against DC-2:
/roll 4f DC-2 Record Audio
- -3 or Worse: Nothing usable.
- -2: Noises in the shape of speech, but no content.
- -1: Voices can be differentiate, but no content.
- 0: With some uncertainty you might get the general topic.
- +1: The topic is clear, but details are fuzzy at best.
- +2: Clear topic, some details of varying import.
- +3 or better: Clear topic and important details.
- TALOS: The Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) is low-profile powered combat armour. It provides the wearer enhanced strength, endurance, and speed, with almost no encumbrance. It provides near immunity to small and medium arms and explosives. The Self Contained Hazardous Environment Protection (SCHEP) can handle 100m of water or vacuum and includes an integrated AR system. The suit consists of several layers that work together to turn a soldier into a heavily armoured mobile weapons platform.
- QAL: The Q-A Layer is worn against the skin. It consists of a Quasi-Organic External Nervous Integration Muscle suit (QOENIM) that enhances strength, speed, and endurance, and an integrated Advanced AR Haptic Suit (AARHS). The combination causes the muscles to feel and respond as if they were part of the soldier's body.
- SCHEP: The Self Contained Hazardous Environment Protection layer is sized to fit over the QAL in the TALOS platform.
- Liquid Armour Layer (LAL): This layer is pliable until an impact causes it to stiffen. This provides significant damage resistance at medium to high accelerations, in small areas (bullet impact) or large (grenade, vehicle crash).
- Power Assist: Increase strength, speed, and agility.
- +2 physical Forceful (+2 QAL) (2R)
- +2 physical Quick. (1R)
- AR Haptic Suit (Advanced): This skinsuit is sleek enough to be worn under normal clothes and may not be noticed until the head is enveloped. It provides full-body touch and force feedback sensation to the wearer. It is worn by the user, allowing the wearer to interact with the real world and virtual world. Advanced AR suits are expensive, requiring some wealth or serious savings, like a luxury car. Made of artificial muscles, sensors, and haptic sensation generators, advanced models can handle eating, excretion and sex. They can be worn for 24h without side effects. It can isolate a person into a full VR environment with audio, visual, and haptic experiences. +1 to actions in AR and VR. -1 Hacking and Metamancy. (Cost 2R)
- Weapon Platform: Hardpoints all over. Backpack is an armour plated module carrying 80L.
- Sensor Suite: A wide range of active and passive sensors tied into the AARHS. (6R)
- Enhanced Vision: +2 to Quickly see something tiny, obscured, subtle, or distant with my amazingly sharp sight - even in dim light. (Overcome)
- Enhanced Hearing: +2 to Quickly or Carefully hear something quiet with my amazingly sharp ears - even in noisy environments. (Overcome)
- Enhanced Kinesthetics: +2 to Quickly or Sneakily move with amazing precision because of my amazing body awareness balance, and sensitive sense of touch. (Overcome)
- +2DR vs Extreme Temperatures (2R)
- +3DR vs Kinetic Attacks (not orbital velocities) from LAL (2R)
- +2DR vs Explosives up to big chemical from LAL (1R)
- +1DR vs Radiation and EMP (1R)
- Slow To Suit Up: Suit up is 15 minutes for experienced operators with full Space Engineering Technician support teams. Roll Quick for the SET and the operator. Subtract the worst score from the # minutes (e.g., if they roll -1 and +3, the total time to suit up is 15-(-1) = 15+1 = 16min). Corners can be cut to lower the time to suit up. For each minute trimmed from the base time this way, the operator takes a Consequence related to the skipped step. (e.g., skipping the scrub-and-stick for the QAL might save 2min and adds a 2 point Consequence, "Tactile responses dulled and slowed."). (6L Common, Damaging)
- Painstaking Calibration: The QAL must be properly configured to each individual user. This can be done from scratch in many hours (roll Quick vs DC8 to see how many hours), or with the addition of the person's phone under 2h. Any attempt to use an uncalibrated QAL acts like an attack roll against the operator each round (forceful (+3) or quickly (+2) rend and batter the body inside me (3L Rare, Fatal)
- Locked Up: On a critical hit to the (4 or more damage dealt in one blow) the LAL may freeze up for an extended period as the active systems are overwhelmed. Even if the physical stress is soaked, an additional 4 point consequence is taken: Freeze Up: Some or all of the armour solidifies, preventing the operator for taking an action. (4L Uncommon, Damaging).
- Trade Offs:
- Only when worn (3L): The benefits and weaknesses of this armour are lost when it is recharging or not worn. (Common, Inconvenient).
- Very Expensive: Each suit costs millions to build, operate, and maintain. (6L)
- Expert Support Team: Each suit requires a large team of highly trained SETs to maintain operational readiness and make repairs. These teams are expensive to train, expensive, and staff retention can be hard. The number of TALOS soldiers deployed is severely limited by the availability of support teams. (8L Common, Damaging)
Dexter is of mixed race. Just over 6 ft tall with slightly slanted eyes and high cheekbones from his Chinese heritage, naturally tanned skin, and sparkling green eyes. He's very easy on the eyes but in a Puck-ish way, more boyish boister than sophisticated gentleman, with an easy smile and a contagious laugh with what must be surgically straight and bright white teeth. His augments are not visible.
Dexter Lee was born in the slums of Hong Kong and is fluently and natively multi-lingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. Dad was a trader and was one of the early victims of the rapist virus. His mom was left to raise him and had to turn to an old profession to make ends meet.
Dex made use of his time on the seedy side of the tracks to learn how to lighten the wallets (and purses) of mom's customers and became quite adept at it. As he got older, he started taking money from people in the street and used it to gamble.
He became quite facile with gambling games and became a gamerunner of some significance in the city, making a comfortable living by running the games, skill, and subtle cheating.
His mom died suddenly when Dex was a teenager and he's been alone ever since.
When gamerunning wasn't enough, Dex took to running cons. Over time, these grew larger and larger until, one day, he took a lot of money from Ms. Smith's niece thing got a little too hot. He ran and ran to every corner of the Earth and consumed all of his cash trying to just stay alive. Ms. Smith eventually caught up to him and smoothed over some of the worst of the rage but he wouldn't live long if he stayed on Earth. She gave him a choice: stay on Earth and run forever or be an agent of Boeing on Luna to give Boeing access to the less savory business dealings on base--both for intelligence and for occasional procurement of services. Having no real choice, he agreed and over the next nine months they augmented him with "photographic" ears and eyes to enable him to be able to record and photograph things as they happen and provided him with training in espionage and unarmed combat. As part of the deal, Dex has a lace to allow him a full-time AR layer with access to Mycroft's files on people and data on items he may need to reference.
Dex chose Syd as the best person to pursue for information and easily charmed his way into a job as the bartender at Umbra with the obvious after hours gambling in the back room.
Dex is a reluctant spy. While he's afforded latitude and freedom in exchange for his complicity, Dex longs for true freedom and a return to his lucrative previous lifestyle.
The gambling is a popular game and, as gamerunner, Dex does well. In fact, people are often amazed at how well since they are wholly unaware of the skimming and occasional fleecing of a tourist.
|Date ||Description |
|Date ||Description |
|2034-02-28 2300LT The Returning Heroes ||Syd and Dex refused to leave the Warren with the others. Their deep infiltration into the social network of the Warren had them very cofident that they cuold dive deep into the details of the enemy operations while maintaining an airtight cover. Over the next ten hours they came to r |
|2034-02-28 1800LT A Visit To The Jade Rabbit Warren ||Rebecca braced herself for the increasing gravity as the APC was pushed down the linear accelerator. The last time she's ridden one was a few years ago, and it had been unpleasant, to say the least.
"This launch will be a civilian Gs, ma'am," Dale said. "You will feel it, but it won't even be u |
|2034-02-28 1100LT Signs Point To China ||Seismologists from Boeing quickly determined that there is a large tunnel leading out of the base. It terminates under the South East corner of the Al/O2 plant. It goes South. The only other structure on the moon is the Chinese base at the South Pole.
Kevin racked his mind for where |
|2034-02-28 0920LT Emergency Community Support ||About 100 people donned EVA Work Suits or Civilian Armour and rushed to the scene. There were few serious injuries. Heat and radiation burns were most common, along with lace problems from the EMP. Dex and Syd were both a bit addled by the magnetic field used to contain the plasma. [ |
|2034-02-28 0915LT GTFO it's gonna blow ||The plasma weapon that fired off emanated from below the house. It blasted a hole upwards into the roof at the edge of the biodome, excavating almost 100m of concrete and rock. The top of the biodome is over 500m down, so the chance of loss of pressure was remote. Still, emergency procedures were tr |
|2034-02-28 0900LT Storming the Castle ||After the questioning is done, the characters end up talking about Brian - and heading to his place. He's the main suspect.
Dex guessed there would be another tunnel.
A Redshirt dies in the tunnels and basement.
Dale contacted Brian IVR. He seemed surprised to learn they were in his home. “I’m tr
|2034-02-27 0800LT Called in for questioning ||Author’s Note: These narratives are mostly character development, not finished narratives for the books.
“Good morning, Mr. Willam,” Dale said. The faceplate on his armour was fully transparent to the well dressed man sitting across from him in the interrogation |
|2034-02-26 1530LT I just breathed human remains ||Earlier, Mycroft informed Syd that Brian and Phil were both missing for over an hour, but that he was not allowed to investigate their disappearance until they were off the network for three hours. That would be 1700LT.
Syd asked Kevin to help figure out why the Vault was full of gr |
|2034-02-26 1000LT Spearfishing ||A melodious tone drew Rebecca’s attention to her left. Shauna’s AR projection was standing two metres away, seamlessly integrated into the environment at Umbra. She was panicking while she waited for Rebecca to answer. Rebecca could understand that: Shauna appeared to be covered |
|2034-02-26 0600LT In Which Enthusiastic Adherence to Contracts Is Discussed ||A wailing siren and ringing alarms shocked Dex from his bed. He leapt up with far too much force, smashing himself into the ceiling hard enough to leave him slightly stunned even if he'd been fully awake. He fell slowly in the low G. By the time he hit the edge of his bed he was awake enough to |
|2034-02-26 0300LT A Daily Report is Crafted ||Dex finished his shift at 0300LT. He walked back to his apartment, not far from Umbra, enjoying the cool night air. He composed his daily report to Boeing Luna CEO Aurora Smith as he strolled along. As usual, he was choosy about what he included and what he left out. As much as possible |
|2034-02-25 1700LT What are YOU doing here ||Rebecca saw Shauna sitting on a bench as she approached Umbra. Aun hopped up as she pushed her bike into a rack, and air kissed her boss on both sides. “It’s been a while since you had a double-Umbra day, isn’t it?” Her voice was low and rich, somewhat at odds with her short lean fra |
|2034-02-25 1600LT Big Man Trouble Has a Pint ||Kevin has a drink and some banter with Dex. Kevin is sure Dex is a con artist of some sort, and Dex is sure that Kevin is not just a tourist. The conversation is devoid of any real meaning until the surprise arrival of some special guests. |
|2034-02-25 1500LT Rebecca has a concern ||Rebecca carefully concealed her anxiety and anger as she pedalled lightly down the broad, open-air cobbled road beside the Henry River. She was on her way to Syd’s bar, Umbra, from her bordello in the South side entertainment district, not far from her theatre complex. Riding in one |
|2034-02-22 1700UTC A delivery is arranged ||Background: Phil Bertrand is a Genetek SVP, on his way to Luna Alpha for a vacation. That's what the records show, anyway. He had a bit of hand luggage that was to make it's way to Brian William's control without undue scrutiny. They hired Syd to make it happen. After a bit of ne |
Data for Category:Characters stored in Special:CargoTables/CHARACTER with the Form:Character Sheet and Template:Character Sheet
Major milestone 9/19/18: refresh added, approach increased, approaches swapped, can rename still and buy a stunt.
Dexter's current build is balanced, with Refresh allocated as follows:
+5 Refresh Pool
+24 Refresh Total
I recommend something like taking an automatic consequence for your cybernetic eyes and/or ears, such that they are damaged in loud/bright conditions, and need repair before they work properly again. (I can help with those.) If they are as robust as human organs that's a rare event, so the weaknesses would get you another 2R each. I would put those 4R into Approach points. Finally, I would consider a few stunts based on your backstory, especially about being elusive.