Approaches are descriptions of how you accomplish tasks. Everyone has the same six approaches: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick, and Sneaky. Unaugmented humans start with 9 points of approach: 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 0. Other types of sophant may have different starting totals, with adjustments made using augments. The maximum approach score for a new character is +6. The minimum is -2.
- Spend 1 Refresh point to add 2 points of approach. Apply these separately to one or two approaches. No more than three Refresh can be spent this way. An aspect or stunt is needed to narratively justify each Refresh point. Starting
- Gain 1 Refresh point by removing 1 point from an approach. No cheating by adding and subtracting from the same approach! No more than three Refresh can be gained this way. An aspect or stunt is needed to narratively justify each Refresh point.
Each approach is rated with a bonus. All sophant types start with one at Good (+3), two at Fair (+2), two at Average (+1), and one at Mediocre (+0). These can be modified as noted above, and improved later with experience. What each approach means and how you use them is described in Game Play. These affect Outcomes and Actions by moving your rolls up the Ladder Of Difficulty.
Once you have figured out your character's approach, you can write it out as a short description.Your approaches can say a lot about who you are. Here are some examples:
- The Brute: Forceful +3, Careful and Flashy +2, Sneaky and Quick +1, Clever +0
- The All-Star: Quick +3, Forceful and Flashy +2, Clever and Careful +1, Sneaky +0
- The Trickster: Clever +3, Sneaky and Flashy +2, Forceful and Quick +1, Careful +0
- The Guardian: Careful +3, Forceful and Clever +2, Sneaky and Quick +1, Flashy +0
- The Thief: Sneaky +3, Careful and Quick +2, Clever and Flashy +1, Forceful +0
- The Swashbuckler: Flashy, Quick and Clever, Forceful and Sneaky, Careful
Note that the actual bonus can be implied (as in the last example).