2034-03-01 1145EST The enemy has a suitcase nuke
|Create or Edit a Character:||
|Create or Edit an Event:||
(2034-03-01 11345EST / 2034-03-01 1645UTC / 2034-03-01 1645LT)
At this point:
- Deke, Grace, Red, Jenkins, Kaleb, and Val are on the Ring 0 landing platform with the attackers. The platform is 50m x 50m square, 10m tall. It is carved into the side of the central pillar, and the only door is the blast door to Ring 1.
- Ring 1 is basically a long twisted corridor filled with machine gun turrets, leading to the door to Ring 2.
- Miranda, Droo, and Jade are in full VR units inside Ring 2. These are optically connected to Bertha's brain for minimal latency.
- Ralston is with the Director in the Command Centre in the separate BURF facility where the PAIL/VAIL labs are located.
Q contacts Miranda to tell her that Bertha is having a stroke. This is caused by a pernicious program implanted by a saboteur, causing Bertha's neural net to be corrupted. Functionally she becomes aphasic (can't generate language) and has a -3 penalty to all rolls. The damage can be repaired in some senses, but there is little chance that the AI that emerges will be Bertha. This process of rebuilding the brain will take several weeks, and will likely be quite disruptive.
The attack continues with the shaped charges taking out the blast door. This is followed by 9 stealth-rocket launched antipersonnel grenades landing on the Ring 0 Platform. Kaleb barely survives the blast, with four grenades exploding around him. (All stress depleted, Deke and Jenkins absorbing damage on his behalf, and his shield taking a bunch of shrapnel - he got off with bruising and pain (2 point consequence) but no serious injuries.) Miraculously, Val escapes without injury.
The enemy MITOs fail to penetrate Ring 2. They are blown to smithereens by their own forces when they try to escape. Deke, Red, Jenkins, and Grace are not targeted by the attackers. It is not clear that the attackers had the four identified.
The lights go out as the fusion reactor finishes a graceful shutdown procedure.
1156EST / 1656UTC: The bomb in the Sea is defused, and taken for forensic examination: Miranda wants to know where it came from.
1158h EST / 1658UTC: Two 10Kt nukes are set off in the PAIL/VAIL side of the base. All biological samples of MITO tissue and Tetra tissue are eliminated, along with the Director, Ralston, and most of the command staff for the facility.
Tetras start arriving. The ultrasound protocol usually drives them off. When it doesn't the wifi jammers do the trick. There are no altercations of significance between the evacuating population and the Tetras. It will take about three hours to evacuate everyone - until 1500 EST / 2000 UTC.
- Ellen summons Droo to her quarters pronto, specifying that he not bother with pants. Droo heads out on a booty call.
- Anderson, Jenkins, and Colonel Islay share logistical control of evacuation, as well as forces that will remain to safeguard the base. The weeks of repair are expected to cause significant damage to the local ecosystem. Those 10000 people were very important to maintaining it.